Friday 2 November 2012

The Immortals Series by Alyson Noël - A Review

First things first, meet the books:  Evermore, Blue Moon, Shadowland, Dark Flame, Night Star, and Everlasting.





Together these six books make up the Immortals Series; they also make up some of the pile of books that I regret buying. The fact of the matter is I only enjoyed two, maybe three of these books. The rest I could've done without, they were wasteful and there seemed little point to them other than to drag the story out for longer than need be.

Basically for those who haven't read these books, they revolve around Ever and Damon for the most part. Two souls destined to be together in all lives that they are reborn in. In other words, this book is based on the idea of souls, and when the body dies the soul moves on to another body. Each soul has a soul mate. Ever and Damen are soul mates, well they would be if Damen hadn't made himself immortal 600 years previously. In the first book we learn that Ever died. But Damen brought her back to life with "the immortal juice" because he was distraught at losing her over and over again (basically every time he found her again in a new life she died pretty soon after). So this time he stopped it from happening. You'd think that would they could be together happily ever after forever right? No. There are five more books to contend with.

I don't want to go into too much detail as to what else happens in between the first and last books. Basically at the end of the first book Ever has forgiven Damen for what he did to her (in making her an immortal). Move on to book 2, something happens to Damen, I won’t say what, Ever has to save him, I won’t say how. But to save she has to make a sacrifice that causes a problem. This problem is not resolved until the very end on the last book. That means three or four books are focused on correcting ONE problem, and it drove me nuts, but being the person I am and not wanting to give up on something I’ve started, I continued to read them.

I know a lot of people love these books, I did too. I loved the first and I loved the last. The ones in between did nothing but frustrate and bore me. In essence, I don't like this series very much. The problem here I think (and I mean no disrespect to the Author) is that someone signs a book deal for a certain amount of books, sometimes it works and you can find enough plot lines and idea's to keep the reader interested for that length of time. This series just felt a bit lazy to me. Yes there a few background plots going on in each book that gave you a little something extra but ultimately it was just ONE big problem for the entire series. I personally wouldn't recommend these books, but that doesn't mean you should not buy them, every person is different. Just because I didn't enjoy them doesn't mean that you won’t either. Give them a chance if you want but borrow one off a friend or get it from the library first would be my suggestion.

[Side Note: This author is fond of the term ‘tingle and heat’ when Ever is describing how it feels when she and Damen touch. It can get a bit repetitive and annoying; it’s said multiple times in every book. However this is just a trend of Young Adult books these days with terms like ‘electricity’ and ‘sparks’. Damen even goes as far as telling Ever that when they hold their hands close that ‘tingle’ she feels is the energy between them, as two people who are meant for each other.]

Until next time . . . . 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D