Friday 16 August 2013

Nail Art! The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones!

Hello! Everyone, it's Friday, Friday gotta get down on Friday. . . .

sorry...

Anyway I hope you had a good week and today in celebration of it being just under one week until the release of The Mortal Instruments City of Bones in Cinemas. Like the excited fan girl I am I came up with a nail art design that has an easy (sort of) version and a more advanced version for all us Shadowhunter wannabes to rock when we flock to the cinema next week!

I would normally insert a picture here but I don't want to spoil the surprise so carry on reading to see this cute nail art design based on the Shadowhunter runes!




For this tutorial you will need!
Base Coat, White nail polish, black nail polish, top coat, a scrap piece of paper, tooth pick/ extremely thin paint brush/ nail art striper.


For this design I used OPI Nail Envy in Matte, Maybelline Colour Show in Winter Baby, N07 black nail striper, and Sally Hansen Insta-Dri top coat.
I advise, not to use a tooth pick for the design though it is possible, some of the patterns are a little intricate and it's very difficult to get the details with a tooth pick.


The Method.

1. As always start with clean nails, so use nail polish remover to get rid of any dirt or excess oils so your design lasts longer.

2. Another step I've said it before use a base coat to protect your nails from staining you've seen this before I doubt you need a picture of it.

3. Once the base coat is dry take your white nail polish and paint them until the colour becomes opaque. Depending on the opacity of your chosen nail polish this may take a number of coats. Mine took 3 remember to allow each coat to dry properly before applying another!



4. Once your last coat has dried take your nail polish striper (if you are using a toothpick or a paint brush pour a small amount of black nail polish onto the scrap piece of paper first) with a steady hand begin drawing on your design, you may want to practice this before hand as it can be a bit fiddly. I can't specifically tell you how to do each one of these, just pick the easiest place to start and don't try to do too much in one go, for example the Angelic Power design was done in 6 small strokes to make it easier to manage.

here is the "easy" version

I say easy, it's just the easiest of the runes to transfer into a nail design. 

If you are more advanced at nail art you can try doing these, slightly more intricate (I made the mistake of painting these onto my right hand, so I was using my rather shaky and none dominant hand to do a harder design, yeah that wasn't a very wise choice!)



5. Once you have let the black dry for a few minutes apply your top coat to seal in your design for a longer lasting manicure.

And that is all there is to it! Remember practice makes perfect so try painting these designs on a piece of paper a few times first if you aren't very confidant with nail art. Don't worry you'll get the hang of it.

Below is a picture of what each of these runes means!


I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope you have fun recreating your own rune nail art so you can be a Shadowhunter too! (Hey we can dream right!) If these runes don't take your fancy CLICK HERE to view some of the other rune designs you can choose from!

That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Monday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me your opinion on this design, let me know what you think! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you're a Bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified on when there is a new post. All you have to do is click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

(no copyright infringement intended, I do not own the rune designs)

X

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm working on the PR campaign for the new TMI book and we wanted to get permission to use your nail art pic for one of our Facebook posts!
    Please could you email me anya.morris@thinkjam.com?

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D