Monday 19 August 2013

Books I Did Not Finish! - 19/08/2013

Hello everyone!

It is time for another Books I Did Not Finish! Honestly I'm not sure if people actually like reading these, if you would rather I just did weekly book reviews so it includes books I actually like (because I know I haven't done one of those reviews in a while) then please do let me know in the comments below!

I was struggling to pick which book/ series to use this week, there is one that I really want to share but for now I'm saving that one. So this week I am featuring another series I did not finish. This is usually were for whatever reason I decided not to pick up the next book of series having read at least 2 of the previous books.

The Blue Bloods Series
by
  Melissa De La Cruz




Tagline: They're Young, Fabulous and Fanged . . . 

From that Tagline you can probably guess what this series about. Yep that's right Vampires. It is a series I read after the whole Twilight furore and I for the most part I enjoyed it the main characters name really did piss me off though, it was so difficult to deal with, Schuyler. Honestly until I went on the authors website I was pronouncing it in my head as shoe-ler but it's actually pronounced Sky-ler. Great then why not just spell it that way like most people do. Anyway on to the review and why I stopped reading it after the Van Alen Legacy.



First as always I will go in to a bit more detail about the books. And the best way to do that is to give you the synopsis of the first book, which is titled Blue Bloods:

"Schuyler Van Alen has never fit in at Duchesne, her prestigious New York City private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes to the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates. But when she turns fifteen, Schuyler's life changes dramatically. The death of a popular schoolmate haunts her in unexpected ways. And strangest of all, Jack Force, the most popular boy in school, is showing a sudden interest in her. 

Once an outcast, Schuyler is thrust into Manhattan's most exclusive social circle. Its members are the powerful, the wealthy, and - as Schuyler soon discovers - the unhuman. They are Blue Bloods, an ancient group of Vampires and for centuries they've been invincible. Now something is preying on this elite group, and Schuyler wants to find out the truth. But is she the most vulnerable of them all?"

Now then at first glance this just seems like your typical high school drama and romance novel with a vampire twist. I would even go as far to say it's like Gossip Girl but with Vampires. At least in the beginning anyway. It is a light quick read, it's not great, it's not bad. It's not really a series of books that will grip you past the final page to the point were you're still thinking about it for weeks on end however it does keep you interested enough to want to know what happens next. 

I honestly don't have an issue with this series of books, like I said it's light, it's humorous it has vampires, at the time I started reading them it was pretty much everything I wanted and needed it to be. There was an angsty romance, were Schulyer and Jack Force are pretty much your true love kind of deal but he is already promised and fated to be with another for the rest of his life and the lives after that. You see this elite group of vampires, die and then are born again. They marry the same people, etc. Schuyler was never supposed to exist, she isn't a part of that ancient line and her existence changes everything. But if her and Jack wish to be together they will have to face the blood wrath of his betrothed. Mimi Force (his sister who isn't really his sister, I'm not really sure how to explain it, it makes more sense when you read the books.) 

I have just two reasons for giving up on this series, one of them is that once I reached the Van Alen Legacy I found that I didn't really care about anything other than finding out what happened between Schuyler and Jack, the rest of the plot just didn't entice me so I was ultimately buying a book and skim reading it. Which isn't really good. I have four of the books, and as far as I am aware there is at least 6 in total possibly more. 

The last reason I gave up on a series that I neither loved nor hated came ultimately down to the author and her what to me seemed like a decision to try and drag out the story more than necessary. Picture this I was all prepared to pick up the follow up to the Van Alen Legacy (I even read Keys to the Repository for christ sake) when I hear that the next book is a bout 100 pages shorter. I can't understand why an author would release a shorter book and then release further books in a series. It doesn't make sense to me. Why couldn't she write a full length 300 and odd page book out of books 5 & 6. 
Honestly I probably would have stopped at book 2 (you see it was the same issue with book three it had a page count considerably lower than the previous book) only I got it in a box set so I kind of just let it go, so when it happened again I knew that I couldn't justify continuing on with this series, to me if you are writing a series, were each book is a continuation of the same story focusing mainly on the same characters then there is no reason for such fluctuation is the length of the books except dragging it out for more money. If the series is one like Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles were the focus of each book switches, to one of the Fuentes brothers and their story then that's fine it's understandable for fluctuation in those types of series because you can't really merge the books together in the same way you can with a continued story/ plot line. I mean you get to book six and we are back up to 360 pages so why couldn't Ms De La Cruz merge the two books together and make them more of an equal length. Perhaps she had specific cliff hanger planned to keep her readers hooked unfortunately I didn't even get that far.

Unlike most of the books I include in this series I would consider reading these, at some point just not quite yet. As you can see I haven't quite got past that last reason yet. But please don't let that stop you from reading them infact they are probably a decent summer holiday read one you can hop in and out as you please without getting too lost and confused.

I have my reasons for not finishing these books unfortunately this is really just a warning for the people who think the same way as me, otherwise read them if it's a series you have been considering because it honestly isn't that bad I'd probably score it 3.5 out of 5 in total. 


That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Wednesday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me your opinion on this book! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you are a bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified of when I post just click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D