Saturday 9 March 2013

Oz The Great And Powerful - A review


Today was one of those days where I couldn't stand staying in the house for one more second. So I looked at Odeon's website and saw that Oz The Great And Powerful was showing. I remembered seeing the trailer for this film a while back and I decided I would go and watch it.



As most of you already know it stars James Franco as Oscar Diggs/ The Wizard of Oz. He is a con man magician making a living in a travelling circus, performing magic tricks, when a tornado hits and he finds himself in the magical land of Oz. Here he meets the Theodora played by Mila Kunis, who believes that he the prophecy come true and that he will rescue Oz from the Wicked Witch Glinda, thus taking is place as king. On his way to the Emerald City with Theodora, she falls in love with him and believes she will rule Oz by his side as Queen. They meet Finley the talking flying monkey who Oz rescues from a lion causing Theodora to believe whole heartedly that he is the Wizard.
Upon arrival at the Emerald City he meets Theodora's sister Evanora, who tells him that in order to become king he must kill the Wicked Witch by stealing and breaking her wand which is the source of her power, and that he can find her in the Dark Forest.
When they do eventually find Glinda it is revealed that Glinda is the good witch and in reality it is Evanora who is the Wicked Witch.
I will tell you no more than that because I don't want to spoil the rest of the film.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the original Wizard of Oz film, I find it to be a bit tedious and boring however because I enjoyed the musical Wicked, another tale about the witches of Oz I thought I would enjoy this film more. Which I did.

I went to watch the film in 3D which normally I try to avoid because it costs more but this showing time fit in with when I would be near the cinema. Having said that I'm actually really glad I went to see this film in 3D it had its moments were things jumped out of the screen (and a couple of those moments had me jumping in my seat) but mostly the 3D was used in the same way that it was used in say Avatar, to give the landscape more depth. In that respect the 3D was top notch as were the special effects, I was presently surprised.

There were a couple of funny one liners in the film that gave it an added bit of light-heartedness the story was good. The acting was good also. A few people I know have said they were sceptical about the casting of James Franco as the Wizard but I can tell you that he plays the part extremely well. As do Michelle Williams who pretty much epitomises my idea of how Glinda should appear. So obviously the casting directors did a wonderful job.

With all that in mind I give this film 4 stars. It is enjoyable viewing for anyone; it's just one of those films that let you escape the really world for two hours. Be warned that there maybe a couple of parts that some children may find scary; this is after all a PG film.

please subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

x

2 comments:

  1. Nice review Beka. This movie is directed by Sam Raimi and his style can be felt in this movie. When I say style, I mean over-the-top fun in the middle of a story that comes off as really serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. And yeah I can see what you mean like when they find Glinda and Finley gets sent off to make a distraction at starts to moo like a cow. That was so random.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D