Monday 24 November 2014

Trailer Talk: Cinderella!

Hello World!

Welcome back to Beka's View! And my first post of my new posting schedule! I hope Monday has treated you all well, if not make yourself a cup of tea, sit back and enjoy my 'review' or overview of the brand new Cinderella trailer!







1)Initial Reaction:
From the moment the original teaser trailer, focused solely on the glass slipper, was released I was hooked. I defy anyone who loves Disney films to not be transported straight back to their childhood watching this trailer, it gave me chills, my heart ached and it soared. And though it seems (from the trailer at least) to be the same story no twists thrown in like with Maleficent, I honestly can't wait to see it, the first thing I did was text my family to ask who was going to see it with me. Of course my mother has obliged.

2)How do I Feel Now:
I'm still very much in love with it.
I like that we get to see Ella (Lily James) interacting with her mother (Hayley Atwell). She's only ever referred to I believe in the original animated classic. I think seeing that relationship will make Ella's (as the character is called here) grief of losing her mother, her father re-marring and then losing him too, that little bit more profound. Assuming her mother dies on screen, she does appear to be sick at the beginning of the trailer.

Prince Charming (Richard Madden - Game of Thrones) is slightly hard to recognise with his blue eyes seeming brighter than normal and his clean shaven face, I recognised him but couldn't get the name without 'Googling' it, but if this trailer is anything to go by he has me swooning already. I don't know about you, that line, "believe me, they're all looking at you" chills! And let's not forget that smile. OK enough about the Prince there's so much more about the trailer to discuss.

Lady Tremaine AKA Wicked Stepmother, (Cate Blanchett) has been brilliantly cast if you ask me, telling Ella to call her Madame, and that moment when she rips Ella's mother's dress and tells her "You shall not go to the ball" is as heartbreaking as ever.

The ugly stepsisters Anastasia (Holliday Grainger) and Drizella (Sophie McShera), we don't see much of them other than their fabulous bright dresses, and the moment at the dinner table when they are coming up with Ella's 'nickname', Cinder-wench, dirty Ella. Before Drizella declares, "Cinderella" and the classic character is born, I think that is a fantastic moment, and a good way of 'modernising the film.

We do see Ella feeding some mice with the her mother's voice over telling us she has "more kindness in your little finger than most people posses in their entire bodies" I feel it's unlikely that the mice will talk in this adaptation of the film. All the same I thought it was a nice moment to include. Lucifer (will he be called that in this version?) is also seen briefly when the Stepmother first arrives.

A point that I loved about the trailer, Ella and the Prince meet before the ball. I'm not sure why I loved this part so much but I did, I guess in a way it means they 'know' each other more when he tries to find her again with the glass slipper, I mean Cinderella and the Prince didn't really talk a whole lot at the ball in the original animated version. I assume this is Disney's way of modernising the story, (similar to the true love being the love between sisters in Frozen).

Final thing I want to say about the trailer before moving on, The Fairy Godmother (Helena Bonham Carter) another perfect casting? She appears to be a bit of comic relief in the film, I liked the "you'll find they're really comfortable" remark about the glass slippers. The effects look fantastic, as do the costumes, I honestly couldn't love this trailer any more, my inner Disney Princess has awoken. 

3)When Is It Released: 
Still a few months away, one for the new year. March 27th 2015 for those of us from the UK, IMDB has the entire list if you're curious.  

4)Would I See The Film Based On This Trailer Alone: 
Yes. Why? I'm a Disney fan, and when it comes down to it I'll watch pretty much anything they release. Plus the original Cinderella is one of my favourite Disney films. I did have a Cinderella dress up costume as child, so this whole film just brings out my inner child. 

5)Overall Score: 
10/10! They showed a lot, and why not? It's not like we don't already know the story, this isn't like Maleficent were it's told from the Villain's side of the story, it's Cinderella we all know what happens. The music underlying the trailer was great, the costumes look fantastic. It's sure to be hit with the Disney faithful. It's pretty much a timeless tale. 

That is all for today folks!

I do hope you enjoyed this post, if you did please share with your friends, or leave me a comment below I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe if you like my blog so you don't miss a single post! You can do this via Bloglovin too, just scroll to the top of the page, link is on the left hand side!

See you all on Friday! Have a great week! 

And to any American readers out there, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D