Friday 28 November 2014

Beka's Beauty: The Battle of the High Street Micellar Waters - Garnier & L'Oreal!

Hello World!

To the American readers out there I hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Today on Beka's View I bring you the battle of the high street/ drug store Micellar waters. Do they live up to the hype?

Read on to find out!




A bit of background information.
I have long eyelashes, unfortunately that's where my blessing ended, because they are so straight they practically point downwards plus they're very light blonde so without mascara my eyes go missing.

I have to use waterproof mascara. My eyelashes will not stay curled if I don't.
For the past year I've been using Maybelline The Rocket Volume Express in Waterproof. Anyone who has used it can confirm it's an absolute nightmare to get off. 

Hearing Micellar water was the perfect thing for the job, I gave it a try. And I'm here to review two of the most affordable. The Garnier version and the L'Oreal version.

With the help of pictures lets jump in!

This is my before picture with full make up on.

Garnier first!

What are the claims?
  • Cleanses and removes make-up gently in one step
  • Perfectly cleansed and refreshed skin without rubbing or rinsing



.The picture on the left was after one cotton pad, the picture on the right was after three. As you can see my eye looks a little red after three so I decided to stop despite there still being mascara on.

Time for L'Oreal pictures!

What are the claims?
  • Dissolves make-up, no rubbing, no rinsing.
  • Purifies + unclogs pores
  • Tones + soothes skin.




On the left we have after three cotton pads, I decided to stop this time as you can see in the picture on the right two eyelashes came out. 


So neither managed to get my mascara off even with some vigorous scrubbing (please never do this, the skin around the eye is very delicate) 
Now I want to take this moment to say, I have been switching between both of these products for just over a year. So I feel that's enough testing time to review them both.


Garnier Pro's

  • The Size! 400ml double the size of the L'Oreal version 
  • The Price! it's RRP is £4.99 however it's regularly on offer.
  • It's great at the getting the rest of my make up and for clearing up mascara mistakes when it's still wet.
Garnier Con's

  • It can sometimes leave my skin feeling a bit tight.
  • It doesn't take all my waterproof eye make-up of as easily as I would like.
L'Oreal Pro's

  • If I'm not mistaken it was the first high street version of Bioderma in the UK. 
  • I'm not left with the same tight feeling that the Garnier one sometimes gives.
L'Oreal Con's

  • The Size! as said above.you get just 200ml in the L'Oreal version.
  • The Price! for that amount it's RRP is also £4.99, again it's regularly on offer, but being half the size of the Garnier version for the same price it's a bit of a let down.
  • Like the Garnier version it doesn't get all my eye make up off easily enough.

So there I was sat still with mascara on that needed to come off what did I do? 

Enter Nivea Daily Essentials Double Effect Eye Make-Up Remover!


So what did I do? 
Well yes I wanted to get the rest of my mascara off (and as you can see from the almost empty bottle I've used this enough to give a review!) but I also wanted to see which of the Micellar Waters got the most mascara off.
One cotton pad for each eye was all that was needed to take the rest off. 


As you can see, no more make up!

So I hear you ask. Which one took off the most mascara?
Enter comparison picture!


So each cotton pad was laid down next to it's relevant bottle as I used it. I would say they are pretty equal, but it looks to me that the Garnier one took more mascara off before I had to go in with the Nivea eye make-up remover. 
What do you think?

DING! DING! DING!
WE HAVE A WINNER!

GARNIER MICELLAR CLEANSING WATER!!


Did they meet their claims?
  • L'Oreal one does not dissolve make up.
  • Both claim no rubbing, again to get everything off this isn't true.
  • Both are recommended as safe for eyes and whilst neither sting, neither take waterproof make-up off without rubbing so to avoid damaging that delicate eye area, use something else.
  • As for the no rinsing thing, Ignore! Micellar water is not enough to clean your skin, it simply removes your make-up, please remember to wash your face afterwards, I always follow up with my Simple Refreshing face wash.
  • As for L'Oreal, purifying and unclogging pores I can't really tell you whether it does this, I treat my skin to weekly purifying and scrub masks anyway, so I don't have particularly bad skin to start with. 


This is of course just my personal opinion and experience using these products. You can of course decide for your self but for double the product amount, at the same price Garnier has to win. 
That being said if you can only afford one make-up remover.
Go for the Nivea one, it's all I use to take my mascara off now I don't even try with the others any more. It's priced at £3.59 for 150ml

Why don't I just use the Nivea remover and my face wash it would be cheaper right?

Trust me, I tried. But my foundation, Revlon Colour Stay, just won't come off with a face wash, so I have to use a make-up remover.

*note* All prices were correct as of 11pm on 27/11/2014. Taken from boots.com


That is all for today folks!


I do hope you enjoyed this post, if you did please share with your friends, or leave me a comment below I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe if you like my blog so you don't miss a single post! You can do this via Bloglovin too, just scroll to the top of the page, link is on the left hand side!

See you all on Monday! Have a great weekend! 

xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D