Monday 11 November 2013

Unteachable by Leah Raeder : A Review!

Hello!

I'm back, apologies again for no post on Friday, last week was pretty hectic add in to that my computer breaking and it doesn't making blogging very easy!
So today I bring you a book review of:

Unteachable
by 
Leah Raeder


Tagline: N/A 

As a fan of books like Slammed by Colleen Hoover and Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard, you can understand I was curious when I came across yet another teacher/ student romance book that received quite a number of positive ratings. Given I hadn't yet had a bad experience I decided to give it a shot. It was a bad decision I'll tell you that much now. 


Blurb:

"I met him at a carnival, of all corny places. The summer I turned eighteen, in that chaos of neon lights and cheap thrills, I met a man so sweet, so beautiful, he seemed to come from another world. We had one night: intense, scary, real. Then I ran, like I always do. Because I didn't want to be abandoned again."

But I couldn't run far enough.

I knew him as Evan that night. When I walked into his classroom, he became Mr. Wilke.

My teacher.

I don't know if what we're doing is wrong. The rules say one thing; my heart says screw the rules. I can't let him lose his job. And I can'r lose him.

In the movies, this would have a happy ending. I grow up. I love, I lose, I learn. An I move on. But this is life, and there's no script. You make it up as you go along. 

And you don't pray or a happy ending. You pray for it to never end."

I just want to make it clear to anyone who didn't read the blurb above, the protagonist, Masie O'Malley is 18, it is not against the law where the book is set yet it is still frowned upon, it is not against the law. 

First of all I just love that cover! At first I didn't get but when you read the book and emphasis on the twinkling lights of the carnival and the fireflies, it makes total sense! It's not often you get a book cover that means something to the pages inside it these days. 

A lot people have compared this book to Slammed by Colleen Hoover. Some think it's better, some think it isn't as good, some think it's just about on par. Personally, I think they are on par with each other. 
Slammed was a great story, but the teacher role of Will I felt was portrayed too much of a good guy, I honestly think the representation of the teacher in this scenario was done better in Unteachable than it was in Slammed. Let's not forget, that both characters in Unteachable are screwed up, Masie has daddy issues which cause her to go for older guys, and this isn't the first teacher, student relationship Mr Evan Wilke has had either. I don't think you can ever portray a teacher falling in love with his student as a completely good guy. 
However that being said, I felt the ending of Slammed was pulled off better than Unteachable was, maybe it was just me but Unteachable was a little bit scruffy, rushed, and rough around the edges but perhaps that is so it mirrors it's characters? I'm not sure but I did prefer the way Colleen Hoover ended her book over Unteachable ended.

That doesn't mean this is a bad book like I said, I think they are on par with each other! I thought the writing was great, the characters were believable, the story was good, and that's all you can ever really ask from a book, my issues with the ending though did bump this down to a 4 star review, endings can make or break a book for me. Luckily this ending was nowhere near the kind of ending that would cause me to give a bad review like Allegiant by Veronica Roth. 

I loved Masie she's not some whiny teenage girl who thinks the whole world is against her and there's nothing she can do about it. If anything I admire Masie, she took control of her life, she dealt with the consequences of her actions she knew what she was doing, but she knew what she wanted. She wasn't going to let anyone else make the decision for her, she may not bad ass on the Katniss Everdeen scale, but for an NA romance she's close to being top of my list of favourite protagonists. 

Like I said I give this book a very solid 4 stars. Fans of Slammed by Colleen Hoover will enjoy this the most. 

That is all for today! As usual I hoped you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Wednesday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me what your opinion is on this book!  Let me know I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you are a Bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified on when there is a new post to read. All you have to do is click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D