Monday 8 July 2013

Books I Did Not Finish - 08/07/2013

Hello!

Here is the second instalment of books I did not finish. Unlike my first instalment (which was a series) today's is just one book (though it is part of a series, I think it counts because I couldn't even finish the first book). You've heard me mention it before I have never tried to hide the fact I didn't like it.

It's about witches.
A sixteen year old girl.
Recently made into a film.

Can you guess what it is?

Say hello to the best-seller by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.......

Read More After The Jump!




BEAUTIFUL CREATURES.



Say hello to the book I disliked so much I gave it only one star in my good reads review.

Now let's be honest with each other here. I will admit I have read my fair share of young adult books that are terrible, and this is definitely no worse than those, there is just one slight difference. Those other books I was talking about are still entertaining because you can laugh at their stupidity (Hello Twilight remember me? Yep I read you 7 times a fact I am very much ashamed of. Don't judge me guys I was young and foolish.) and how cliché they are. With Beautiful Creatures it's a clichéd, bordering on offensive, bore-fest. Why bordering on offensive, you may ask well it all depends on your stance. When the main character is saying he doesn't have an accent (it's set in southern America we all know what accent he means) because he was raised by educated people. He's also constantly lamenting how he's better than everyone and everything in the town. It's like saying the majority of southern people are raised idiots because they have an accent, it's one of the biggest uses of stereotypes I have seen. How this became an international best-seller I will never know.

Ethan and Lena suffer from insta-love like the majority of YA couples these days. Not to mention they are both as interesting as watching paint dry and they have zero chemistry (about as much as Edward and Bella did in the film of Twilight). It's a wonder I made it as far with this book as I did. I wanted to throw it at a wall. I am a very determined person and I hate not finishing books, it frustrates me how bad this book is that I can't even consider trying to finish it. Judging by the creases I left in the spine I reached roughly page 200 before I gave up. So I passed my mandatory 100 pages! (Woohoo go me!)

Needless to say I haven't watched the film so I definitely can't pass judgement on that. I remember seeing the adverts for it and thinking 1st "well that looks s**t", 2nd "wait that looks familair" and finally 3rd "oh god it's beautiful creatures, why has this been made into a film!" 

Can I just say if you don't have a good understanding of the minds of teenage boys please don't try and write a whole 600 page book from his damn perspective seriously, he sounds like a bitchy teenage girl. 

Does anyone remember the locket scene? You know the one that gave them both a vision when they touched it. Why didn't that freak the s**t out of him? Like seriously, I thought you said you were the only smart one, yet you run after a girl you don't know, and you don't question all the f***ing weird things that keep happening. Seriously this book is a walking contradiction. 

I literally have nothing good to say about, if you came here looking for a recommendation as to who might prefer it I can't give you one, I dislike it that much I have no idea what it is that other people see in this book that makes them love it so much.
This book is so infuriating, I hated both the main characters and that's never happened before, usually it's just one of them and most of the time I can look past it. But not here, it was just too much. This book was more infuriating than the entirety of The Immortals series by Alyson Noel put together (and let me tell you that series get's very tedious!) 

This book had such a unique and exciting premise bringing a new twist to the tale of witches in the end it is just a serious hot mess and my only recommendation would be to save yourself the pain and avoid it like the plague, unless you like infuriating bore-fests, in that case enjoy to your hearts content.

I hope you enjoyed this post and didn't find it to 'ranty' (that's not even word but it was all I could think of) then again maybe you enjoy that kind of thing I don't know, why don't you tell me? Leave a comment below and tell me your opinion do you want to see more rant posts? or how about have you read Beautiful Creatures? Did you love it or did you hate it?
As for me I shall see you all on Wednesday!

x

Please Subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D