Monday 28 October 2013

The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer : A Review!

So it's happened again. I have now actually started and finished the two books I mentioned in my Series I want to start / finish post. Wow usually it would take me quite some time to accomplish that! (I'm a procrastinator or okay, so sure me!)

By that (and the title) you will of course figured at that today's post is a review of,

The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer
by
Michelle Hodkin


Tagline: Who is Mara Dyer?

So you may remember I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book after someone compared it to Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. A series I have no problem admitting I absolutely did not like. It was also one of the books that lead to my abandonment to the Paranormal YA genre. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, I'm pretty sure is the first book I have read from the paranormal genre in a long time, I have routinely avoided them like the plague until now.  

The blurb for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer:

"Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong."

Well it wouldn't be a YA book without a little bit of romance now would it!

What I can say is that unless, I am very oblivious I don't see how this book is anything like Hush Hush. For one it wasn't frustrating in a bad way. However that being said, I am yet to be a sequel, because unless I missed something in book one I don't think either, Noah or Mara are angels. They might be, but I don't think it's been revealed yet, either way, even if they are angels I still enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than I did Hush Hush.

I didn't want to continuously punch Noah in the face in the way I did with Patch (still think that's a intensely stupid character name. Apologies if that is your name, I just don't like it.)

One thing this book did do was draw me. And it left me very very confused, great job Ms Hodkin you made me eager to read the sequel (which I will soon since it's already out).  How can you not get drawn in by a book with the opening line: 

"My name is not Mara Dyer, but my lawyer told me I had to choose something"

Hello! Instant intrigue! If she isn't Mara Dyer then who is she, and why does she need a lawyer? Tell me more! That was literally my reaction when I read that. I love a good mystery!

Considering the length of time I've steered clear of paranormal books this may not be a new story idea but it's knew to me. 

Warning!! Click off now to avoid spoilers!!



So basically when Mara wants someone to die, and pictures how it happens, it generally happens. Her 'boyfriend' Noah Shaw has the ability to heal anything (except the dead obviously). Throughout the coarse of the book we learn what happened in the accident and that Mara is most likely responsible for the death of her friends whether she meant to kill them or not. At that time she had no idea what she was capable of. So my question is, if she has a lawyer does that mean she eventually comes clean? That's beside the point though isn't it that's a question most likely to be saved for the final book due out next spring (2014).

What I didn't see coming was that twist at the end! Oh boy, did that leave me confused. We already no by this point that Mara had imagined Jude (her ex boyfriends death) when he tried to rape her, I'm assuming that that was what Michelle Hodkin was implying that's what it seemed like to me, in the process she inadvertently caused the death of her friends Rachel and Claire. Only as the book ends we learn that Jude is still alive and breathing. 

So I guess what I'm saying is do we really know what happened that night? And just how does Mara's power work if Jude is still alive? Is Jude a supernatural being too? So many questions and I'm willing to bet that in true trilogy fashion they won't be answered in book too. Her begins the clock watching for the release of the last book!

However if the re-introduction of Jude also brings with it a love triangle, the book will meet my bedroom wall, and Michelle Hodkin's The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer series can join the long list of series I did not finish. Just saying. 

I scored this book 4/5 out of five only because I think it needs to be balanced better, there is slightly too much romance going on to actual story about Mara and her 'powers'. 



That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Monday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me did you read this book? Did you love it or did you hate it? I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you're a Bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified on when there is a new post. All you have to do is click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D