Wednesday 30 October 2013

Allegiant by Veronica Roth : A Review! **WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD**

This is the review I have been dreading writing. It's the book that I spent over a year longing and waiting for. It's also the book that once the ending was spoiled it took me a week after the release date to work up the courage to read it. Now having slept on it, I feel I'm in the right frame of mind to write an honest review.

Allegiant
by
Veronica Roth


Tagline: She Must Make Her Final Choice...

For those of you who don't already know (and honestly if you don't know have you been living under a rock?) Allegiant is the third and final book in the New York Times Number 1 Best Selling Divergent Series by Veronica Roth.

DO NOT READ AFTER THE JUMP IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE BOOK TO BE SPOILED, THIS ENTIRE REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

The Blurb for Allegiant:

"The faction based society that Tris Prior once believe in is shattered - fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris' new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. An once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love."

I'm not entirely sure where to begin with this All I have to say is that I didn't enjoy it. Not at all. I thought I would hate it purely because of the ending. But the ending just became part of a list of things I didn't like about this book. Which saddens me. The two previous books were so good, it's heartbreaking when a series is let down by it's conclusion but pretty much the entirety of Allegiant made no sense to me. There was very very little that I liked about it. Bear in mind here, that Divergent is one of my all time favourite books so it's not as if I didn't like the series to begin with. 

Let's talk about Four/Tobias for a moment. 
Who the hell was that and what did they do with the real Four!! Seriously I want him back right now! The Four of Divergent and Insurgent was a strong, self assured guy, who wouldn't blindly follow the first thing someone said to him. The Four of Allegiant is a lost broken annoying guy who blindly follows what someone says and Uriah ends up dead. Erm what? Also Four being Four he would never have let Tris go off alone after Caleb he's not stupid he know Tris he would have known that she would try to sacrifice herself for Caleb!! For gods sake, it's like his character did a 180 flip and became a seriously annoying whining douche. The dual pov did not help either. I couldn't distinguish between Tris and Four's voices so it was kinf of confusing obviously I get why you need dual pov's when you kill of your protagonist but that's beside the point!

There are so many new characters in this it's hard to thinks straight, some of the die some of there families die and I find it hard to actually care. Guess what we Find out George Wu is alive. Who is that you ask? Well it's Tori's brother yeah the one we all thought was dead, oh but wait Tori died trying to leave Chicago. But I just couldn't find myself to sympathise with her brother, I didn't know him, I don't really care about him. 

Insurgent feels like a freaking waste of time! Remember that video? Yeah we get outside the fence and it turns out everything was a lie!!! Really Veronica you are trying to convince me that you had this book planned before finishing Insurgent yet you pull that 180 on us? No sorry I'm not convinced. 

We have this whole story line of Genetically Damaged people and Genetically Pure people and honestly I have no way to describe that to you basically the people in the faction system were the children of people whose genes were altered, and they were trying to get them back to how they used to be blah blah blah I just don't care, so this entire time Chicago was just an experiment. Okay. It goes from being Faction vs the Faction-less to the GD vs the GP. And I just don't care. So much was crammed into this book, that I couldn't make sense of it. It was like reading a whole different series, it didn't feel like it was part of the same series that Divergent and Insurgent came from it was so different. 

THE ENDING!

Plot holes, plot holes everywhere. Yikes!! The ending that made absolutely no fucking sense, no matter how much Veronica tries to explain it I will never agree with her reasoning. (You can read Veronicas explanation of the ending HERE). 

Basically The Bureau (the GP's) What the experiment that was Chicago to keep going and Tris wants those people to know the truth and be set free. That is the main conflict.  So the Bureau decide they are going to wipe the memories of Tris, her friends and the families of her friends, and Tris' solution is instead to wipe the Bureau's memories. 

We have already learnt that there are antidotes to every serum, and there is an inoculation against the Memory serum. So why does no one think of I don't know just inoculating themselves against it so the Bureau can't wipe their memories? At the very least this id going to buy them sometime to figure out a more permanent solution. Instead Caleb is going to sacrifice himself by releasing the memory serum by breaking into the vault before the death serum can kill him. Everyone thinks this is going to happen, it occurs to absolutely no one that Tris who has been on various missions intent on sacrificing herself before that she would never let her brother do this. No one even thinks that Tris might step in not even Four? What!! He knew Tris would hand herself over to Jeannine Matthews in Insurgent how could he not see she would do this too!!

Veronica tries to explain Tris' death as that she is trying to emulate the Sacrifice that her parents made for her. Well you know what  just don't buy it. There was one perfectly good character who needed to redeem himself. Who felt so guilty for nearly killing his own sister, this was his chance to make everyone like his character again but know Tris dies instead so Caleb actually does have her death on his conscience now. 

My other major issue is that Tris tells Caleb to tell Four that she didn't want to leave him only for her to ask her mother if she was finally done. Excuse me Veronica but that does not sound like a character who didn't want to leave make up your mind. I get why you killed off Tris I do, but I still fully believe that the ending would have been miles better if Caleb had been the one to sacrifice himself, to earn his redemption after betraying his sister, but no he lived and she died. 

It just bothered me to no end none of the ending made any sense to me at all. 

I could barely bring myself to read Four's reaction and the Epilogue. I get that the world is rebuilding and that Tris' sacrifice actually meant something. But I want to see how the world changed not just, Tris dies but by the way it all worked out the end, I'm just not going to show you how it changed, just no that it did. No not good enough. I said that there had to be a good reason for Tris to die. I don't think there was. I don't think there was a reason for her to die at all, other than to shock. That's just my two cents. 


So even though the ending was in my eyes a huge disaster as you can see it's not the only issue I have with this book and for that reason I can't score it higher than, three stars, however I am at war myself, because I also feel like I could knock it down to 2. The way I feel about this book right now 3 stars is generous. 
It was a very disappointing ending to one of my favourite book series, I'm sad to see it go and I just wish it had gotten the send off it deserved but it didn't it got a messy plot, poor world building, and complete 180 character developments. 

There wasn't a whole lot I liked about it. I'm struggling to think of anything. 


That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Friday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me what you think of each of these books/ series! Do you have any books you think I should read? Let me know, I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you are a bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified of when I post just click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more! Such a disappointment :( to me it's like Veronica Roth just wanted a controversial ending to get more publicity! And I know there was never going to be a 'happy walk into the sunset' ending she still could of let Tris live! I only finished it today and I'm so angry haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one that thought so, it does seem that she wanted a controversial ending that everyone would talk about, even if she says she didn't, the reasons she gave just didn't make any sense. It would have been such a good ending I feel if Caleb had sacrificed himself, I probably would have liked his character a bit more! I'm the same as you definitely angry!

      Delete
    2. Exactly! The ending would of been pretty much the same if Caleb died so why didn't she kill him!? It's going to take a while getting over this haha!

      Delete

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D