Monday 9 September 2013

Books I Did Not Finish! - 09/09/2013

Hello Everyone, it is Monday and you know what that means!

It's time for another Book's I Did Not Finish. This week I am featuring a series, that I'm not sure really counts. Anyway. It's a series where as usual I freaking LOVED the first book, only to be somewhat let down by book 2. Yeah that's usually what happens. Only I know I downloaded the ebook of book 2, I remember starting it but I don't remember finishing it, and I also know I haven't read the last book, so it's getting featured, and with a little research, I'm going to try and decipher why I suddenly stopped reading book 2 and if I will continue on. So as you can tell today's instalment is slightly different form all my previous ones!

Today's book is . . . .

Matched
by
Ally Condie



Tagline: Watched By Society. Trapped By Rules. Freed By Love?

Shall we get on in to this book then? (That made no sense but let's just pretend that it did. Will you do that for me? Please?)

Let's research and discover together, if I will ever finish this series!



First things first you know the drill, it's time for the blurb!

"On her seventeenth birthday, 
Cassia meets her match. Society dictates
he is her perfect partner for life.

EXCEPT HE'S NOT.

In Cassia's society, Officials decide who people love.
How many children they have.
Where they work.
When they die.

But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy,
she is determined to make some choices of her own.

And that's when her whole world
begins to unravel . . ."

Matched is a dystopian romance with a love triangle (sort of) that I read before love triangles became the huge lazy plot device they have become today. More on that HERE

I first picked this book up purely for vanity reasons. You know that saying don't judge a book by it's cover? Yeah well I did just that. I picked this book for the sole reason that it stood out on the bookshelf and I thought it look absolutely stunning. So simple yet so effective and beautiful.

As the blurb already says, this book follows Cassia. She has been matched to Xander, her best friend, but she's in love with Ky, an outsider.

Honestly I did enjoy Matched I think I gave it 3.5/4 stars. It was something along those lines. I loved the cover, I loved the world that Ms Condie had created, I loved the characters I loved the story. So I already know that it's nothing to do with Matched, the reason why I suddenly stopped reading this series because I remember being anxious for the sequel once I had finished this.

So Matched was not the problem. Then it must be the sequel right? Since I never made it to book 3.

And yes, yes it is. The problem lies in book 2. And from the research I did, it would seem that I was not the only person who suffered the same issue with this sequel. (In a way you could almost compare to The Selection & The Elite by Kiera Cass, which I did a books I did not finish on, in that I thought I could have written a better sequel.) 
Crossed was boring, I felt nothing, the characters I loved were now dull, I felt no connection to them, I felt nothing between Ky and Cassia. 
I don't even know when I stopped reading this, I think I made it to the point when Ky and Cassia found each other again, I'm sure I remember reading that.

The main problem is this book is sending people to sleep. And I know it's not just me because I a lot of reviews on Good Reads say the same thing. That it sent them to sleep. So I guess it's no surprise really that I just put it down and never picked it up again, it never grabbed my attention. As much as I wanted to love it because I loved the first book, and like the first book it's had a very pretty cover, it just wasn't good. 

This book is a freaking huge advertisement for Second Book Syndrome, it's boring and lack lustre the plot is so slow. Why can't authors sign just two book deals so we don't have to put up with dragged out boring, plot-less sequels before we get to the last book that almost always rushes everything (e.g. Mocking Jay by Suzanne Collins was such a rushed and disappointing ending). Did the last book in this trilogy do that I don't know I never read it you tell me!

Sadly I have no patience for slow plotting, over description when it isn't necessary, and vagueness when I need more detail. 

Though I so wanted to love this series. I just don't think it's for me, so I won't be continuing on with this sadly. 

That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Wednesday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me your opinion on this book! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you are a bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified of when I post just click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D