Wednesday 18 September 2013

One Tiny Lie vs Ten Tiny Breaths by K A Tucker : A Review!

Hi, everyone.

First apologies, I know I usually get my posts done and uploaded for 10am everyday so going by that this post is a little bit later than usual. However, like I said last week I have been busy but I am determined to keep to my schedule. Besides it is still Wednesday so at least I didn't miss a day!
We're still on track to keep up with the posting schedule I started in July, which quite frankly amazes me, I'm not the best at following through on my plans!

Any-who today's post is a review of sorts. And I just realised I have been posting a lot more about books recently, I hope you don't mind that. Any way, so today I thought I would do a comparison/ review of One Tiny Lie and Ten Tiny Breaths, both by K A Tucker, One Tiny Lie is Livie Cleary's story, whilst Ten Tiny Breaths is Kacey Cleary's story (but you knew this right because you know I love this book).

Ten Tiny Breaths & One Tiny Lie  
by
K A Tucker




I enjoyed both of these books let's just get that out there right now. This is by no means a bad review, however there is one that I like considerably more than the other, but that doesn't mean that the other isn't any good. So if you want to find out what the hell I'm harping on about or if you are considering reading these books and want to know a little more carry on reading!



Normally in a post about a series of books I would include the blurb from just one however this isn't a straight forward series as the main focus of each novel is on one of the sisters with the other being a secondary character. 

I'll start with Ten Tiny Breaths because I have briefly talked about it before and if you like you can read what I had to say by clicking here.
Okay so on to the blurb for Ten Tiny Breaths since I didn't really divulge that when I last talked about. 

"Kacey Cleary's whole life imploded four years ago in a drunk driving accident. Now she's working hard to bury the pieces left behind - all but one. Her little sister, Livie.

But when Uncle Raymond slides into bed next to Livie one night, Kacey decides it's time to run. Armed with two bus tickets and dreams of living near the coast, Kacey and Livie start their new lives in a Miami apartment complex, complete with a grumpy landlord  a pervert upstairs, and a neighbour with a stage name. But Kacey's not worried. She can handle all of them. What she can't handle is Trent Emerson in apartment 1D.

Kacey doesn't want to feel. It's safer that way. But Trent finds a way into her numb heart, reigniting her ability to love again. She starts to believe that maybe she can leave the past where it belongs and start over. Maybe she's not beyond repair.

But Kacey isn't the only one who's broken. Seemingly perfect Trent has an unforgivable past of his own, one that when discovered, will shatter Kacey's newly constructed life and send her back into suffocating darkness."

I've said it before, I love this book. I love reading about characters, who are broken and struggling to find a way to put all the pieces back together. Most of the time (if you gravitate towards the HEA type like I do) then you get a heart-warming tear-jerking story about love and redemption. And that's what this is only with a twist. Trent's secret truly is shocking (well maybe it is to Kacey but if you are paying enough attention you'll probably have at least a small inkling of what it is, like I and many others did) perhaps the only thing I didn't like was that it seemed almost too easy for Kacey to get past that but at the same time I feel that that also showed her healing, she's able to forgive and let go of a past that she can't change. So in that respect were some people found it to be too much of a Happily Ever After I thought it worked. 

So we all know I love Ten Tiny Breaths, but which book is it that I like more, could One Tiny Lie have beaten out it's predecessor and won my heart? What do you think have a guess before you carry on.


The blurb for One Tiny Lie:

"Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. "Make me proud", he had said. She promised she would...and she's done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.

Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she's dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she's going to someday marry. What isn't part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal room-mate she can't say 'no' to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men's rowing team. He's an arrogant ass who makes Livie's usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn't want in a guy. Worse, he's best friends and room-mates with Connor, who happens to fit Livie's criteria perfectly. 

As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn't have, she's forced to let go of her last promise to her father and with it, the only identity that she knows."

Did you guess right? Do you still think you're right after reading that blurb. Because you should have realised. That blurb hints at something a categorically hate, but maybe you didn't pick up on it because I sure didn't before I read this book. Love Triangle. But not just a love triangle, there's also cheating. Question answered. No chance. With that kind of love story at it's heart One Tiny Lie had no hope of beating it's predecessor. But like I said that doesn't mean this is a bad book. This is actually nothing like Ten Tiny Breaths. This isn't a story about redemption, at least not for Livie. It's about self discovery, and I can forgive a love triangle when it's a story of self discovery, the cheating still didn't sit right with me though. Nothing can excuse that no matter what excuse Livie comes up with, she was written as a smart character and it's pretty damn clear she's in love with Ashton and if she wasn't so scared and actually owned up to what she wanted she wouldn't have found herself in such a mess. 

Where Kacey was obviously broken, Livie isn't. Living under the heavy pressure of the last words her father said to her, it's clear that Livie grew up believing that if she didn't make it to medical school then she wouldn't make her father proud. This is Livie coming to terms with this that just maybe she doesn't have to be a doctor, in reality all her parents wanted for her, and Kacey was for them to be happy. In the end I'm sure it's obvious both sisters are. But it isn't without some trials along the way. 

Perhaps both of these books won't appeal to you, if you like the broken protagonist and a redemption story go for Ten Tiny Breaths, if you prefer self discovery go for One Tiny Lie. Let's be honest One Tiny Lie has to be a good if I was willing to look past my hatred for love triangles and give it a positive review. Or maybe it's just the fact that I absolutely adore this authors writing style. 

What ever it is, both these stories captured my heart in a way were many others had failed miserably in their attempts to do the same. And I think any book that can mange that deserves a good review and a recommendation. So please if this is the kind of story you like go and read these two books. 



That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Friday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me what you think of these books! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you're a Bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified on when there is a new post. All you have to do is click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D