Wednesday 11 September 2013

Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken: A Review!

Hello everyone,

If you are regular readers of my blog then you already know that I don't really write positive book reviews, hence why I decided to start doing a monthly book favourites, as my way of making up for that but also as a break from all the book bashing I seem to be so fond of doing.

However, every now and then you come across a book that you love so much that you just have to spread the word. So today I am doing a positive book review of . . . .

Ruin 
by 
Rachel Van Dyken


Tagline: N/A

Shall we just hop right into this review then?



As usual let's have a look at the blurb:

"I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness . . . until Wes Michals offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second ticked past as one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer -- each moment as it came -- but it would never be enough.

Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't -- I wouldn't ever be the same.

And from that moment on, his heart became my own."

This is a book I did judge by it's cover (yet again) only my judgement turned out to be so far off the mark, but in a very good way. It was a story I didn't see coming, and it left me teary eyed and emotional, I'm sure I sat on my bed in silence for at least 15 minutes afterword just blinking when I had finished it. 

Like me you've probably taken one look at the cover and decided what this book was going to be like, then you read the blurb which though it doesn't exactly go along with that, it still somehow reinforces that opinion. Which was that this book was your typical, broken good girl meets bad boy that puts the pieces back together and they live happily ever after. I wish this story was that easy, because otherwise the characters back stories wouldn't be so heart breaking. Don't get me wrong this is a boy meets girl book but it's also much much more than that. 

Both characters have known loss of people they cared about, and just when falling in love with Wes seems to be repairing the hole in Kiersten's heart, a devastating secret threatens to blow everything apart. You see time is not on Wes' side. As doctor's say his chances of surviving his cancer are 50/50 all depending on how his new medication effects the cancer surrounding his heart. 

Just a warning this is a sickly sweet tear jerker and if you can't handle a sickly sweet love story then this book is not for you. Me however I happen to love them, so I loved this. And yes as some people have pointed out, perhaps the ending isn't exactly realistic, but the raw pain and emotion that the characters feel and face leading up to that I feel most definitely is, and for a happy ending I'm willing to look past something not being 100% realistic.

Though I wasn't a tear stained mess when I read it, I was having to wipe away a couple of stray ones as I got close to the end. The only thing I hated about this book was that it had to end. And that's definitely not a bad thing to hate is it!

As I said at a glance it seems like you typical good girl meets bad boy, and it's definitely not just that (Wes isn't even that much of a bad boy). There are those times when a book steals your heart, makes you feel, stays with you after you turn that final page and makes you think. It's one of those books that makes you ask the question, what would I do when faced with this situation.

I really wish that more people knew about or had read this book, because it deserves to become a best seller like some of Rachel Van Dyken's other books have become, because this book is truly a heart wrenchingly beautiful story, that is definitely one of the easiest 5 star reviews I have ever given.


That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Friday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me did you read this book? Did you love it or did you hate it? I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you're a Bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified on when there is a new post. All you have to do is click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D