Friday 6 September 2013

Recommended - My All Time Favourite Books!

Hello Everyone how are you this fine Friday?

In the month of August I haven't had a lot of time for reading so instead of doing an August favourites I thought I would share with you my top 5 all time favourite books and series!

So without getting sidetracked let's hop right in to today's post!




1. Well this wasn't really a hard decision because number one couldn't go to anything other than the series that first got me into reading! Which is....
A Series of Unfortunate Events
by
Lemony Snicket


This series follows the lives of the 3 orphaned Baudelaire children. Through quite literally a series of unfortunate events ranging from crazy long lost family, to under water escapades, and a 'carnivorous carnival'. Though the stories are somewhat depressing when you consider that all this happened to young children the way I saw it was the strength it took for the children to make it through all these troubles.  I also loved that the Author was constantly warning you away from reading this book, you can read more about that by CLICKING HERE! If you aren't a fan of Harry Potter like I wasn't, and want to get into reading why not give this series ago? The first book is very short and they get progressively longer as the series goes on which contains a total of 13 books, it will always be at the top of my list. 

2. This book, is one that gripped me from the start and has stayed with me ever since I first read it.

If I Stay
by 
Gayle Forman

I recently wrote a review of this book, so instead of writing another shorter review, just CLICK HERE to be taken to the review! I will say though that this is a very emotional and thought provoking book. You've been warned. 

3. This next one is another series, but it is a more recent and current series as we are still awaiting the release of the final book, you've also heard me talk about this book a lot recently.

Divergent and Insurgent
by 
Veronica Roth

I also have a review for Divergent, which you can read HERE. So instead of talking about that I'll say a bit about the sequel Insurgent which I am yet to review.
Insurgent carries on from where the last book left off. With Tris still a very strong female lead character, we see her struggling to come to terms with her actions in the previous book and also struggling to cope with the loss of her family. For those who were unsure of the relationship between Tris and Four there is some development to their story in this book which may help you warm to it. (One scene in particular was very very sweet). There is also a very big cliff hanger though it may not be surprising it's still a cliff hanger and I'm waiting on tenterhooks for the final book in this series Allegiant which is due out in October this year.

4.This next book is quite possibly a tough book to read for some people. It's definitely not light-hearted. 

Scarred (Willow)
by
Julia Hoban

I'm sure you've probably guessed that this is a book about self harming. A subject that is not to be taken lightly. Scarred, is the story of a teenage girl named Willow, who is responsible for her parents deaths. She was driving the car that killed them. Thinking that her brother hates her and moving away from her friends Willow struggles to come to terms with what's happened to her, and instead of talking to someone she bottles it all up until eventually she turns to self harming. This is a story that is truly about loss, love and redemption. The only slight issue I have with it, is that I feel that Willow may never have given up self harming if not for Guy. And I don't think that's very realistic or a stable recovery, because the character moved from one form of dependency to another, which isn't really recovering. 
If you find yourself in this situation please talk to someone, only you have the power to help yourself, people will help you if you reach out and ask for it, don't be ashamed, just please talk to someone. 

5. And the final book in this post is. . . . . 
A Little Princess
by
Frances Hodgson Burnett

This is a book that I first read about four or five years ago. I had been a huge fan of the film for years before that. It never failed to bring a tear to my the moment when you thought her Dad wouldn't recognise her but he chases after her, it get's me every time. So you can imagine my shock when I read the book and was confronted by a different ending. And though it isn't as happy as the film, it is still a happy ending for Sara and one that I very much liked. This follows the story of Sara Crewe, a young student at Miss Minchin's Seminary for young ladies, she is devastated when her adored and indulgent father dies. Now penniless and banished to a room in the attic Sara is demeaned, abused and forced to work as a servant. My favourite line from the film will always be when Sara says to Miss Minchin:
"I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics. Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren't pretty, or smart, or young. They're still princesses. All of us. Didn't you father ever tell you that? Didn't he?"
Even when she has nothing left this young girl is still strong, she won't let Miss Minchin bully her into submission, she is one of the few child protagonists that I love. I would even go as far to say that she is inspirational to young girls, showing them to stand up for themselves. 

That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Monday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me your opinion on these books! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you are a bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified of when I post just click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D