Monday 16 September 2013

Books I Did Not Finish! - 16/09/2013

Hi everybody, (As I typed that it sounded like Dr Nick from the Simpsons! You know what I mean? Anyway getting sidetracked there)

It's that time of the week again, Books I Did Not Finish!! I know you're all so very excited. Note sarcasm (especially in the specific case of this book, because the reason for not finishing the series is resoundingly pathetic go me!) If you've been paying attention (and by paying attention I mean you read my post on Friday) then you may have already had an inkling of which book/ series is being featured this week. Mainly because I actually told you. . . anyway slightly anti climatic but all the same this week I am looking at . . .

The House of Night Series 
by 
P C & Kristen Cast


Tagline: N/A

Now I first read this book near enough straight after I read Twilight and fell in love. Needless to say the girl who reviewed this book way back in like 2008 probably wouldn't like it as much if she were to re-read it today. Why? Well because that was the girl who read Twilight 7 times and is now whole heartedly ashamed of that fact. 

Let's just get into it shall we?



Blurb time as per usual, I figure you only need to know the basic story line so we'll just go for book 1's blurb:

"The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16 year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult Vampyre -- that is, if she makes it through the Change.

Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the Vampyre Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny -- with a little help from her new Vampyre friends."

Yeah that girl I was going on about earlier that read this when she read Twilight and loved them both? Well the older version of her that now hates Twilight just very nearly fell asleep as she was typing out that blurb. Hhhmm I guess that means this book wasn't as good as I first thought. But I am going to somewhat stick to the original plan for this book, 1. because it's slightly more interesting, and 2. Well I can't think of another reason. 

So picture the scene, a young 13/14 year old girl is searching for her next fix of vampire novels when she see's a book that says. If you liked Twilight then you'll love this! Well, I was hook line and sinker. I bought it within about half an hour of seeing that. Read it loved it some more and bought the others that were already out. And so began the waiting game, as I waited patiently to devour the next book to be released which wasn't actually much of a waiting game because in the beginning they came out roughly every 6 months. That is until it got more popular and the novellas started appearing which started to alter the time in between each of the main books being released which I have to admit did annoy me a little, perhaps that was a subconscious factor that lead to me not finishing the series. I mean most other series wait for all the main books to be out before releasing spin off's and novellas but not this one! In the House of Night World, we make people wait longer for the stuff they really want to read whilst we plot to make more money from our crappy novellas that no one really cares about because they just want to keep up with the main story line. (And breathe that was a long paragraph!)

Possible subconscious reason number 2 that I'm only listing to try and make myself feel better. 
Zoey is a bit of a slut. I can't relate to her no matter how much I freaking try! And if you can't relate or even like the main protagonist then it's not a very good start is it. 
So she's dating Erik Night hottest guy in school, whilst maybe still dating Heath, her drunk possibly-ex-boyfriend from her old human school. Then she loses her virginity to one of her teachers Loren whilst still seeing Erik and Heath. Okay she's not a bit of a slut she is a slut. I mean seriosuly, a freaking Love Rhombus??? Not to mention her other love interests like Stark (who I actually loved but that's not the point) and maybe even Kalona (okay I may have been the only one who thought that but still it counts) Zoey dear calm down and just bloody pick one. And she did she chose Stark. And if she cheats on Stark or has cheated on Stark (I wouldn't know I didn't read any further) I'll bloody kill her. 

And the real reason I stopped reading it. Yes we are here finally the pathetic reason I stopped reading this series. Once I realised what a complete and utter in love with himself douche-bag Erik Night is and fell head over heels in love with James Stark (remember I am still writing this as the girl who loved Twilight, I'm telling you why I stopped back then what I write now may not be strictly true today!) For reference for those of you who have read it, I stopped reading this series After Awakened which I think was book 8 so there are still a few more after this one. So for the people who were praying for Zoey and Stark to be together, this book was perfect because it finally happened. Yayy! And that's when I got scared, the little voice inside my head saying "but what if Zoey goes back to her old ways and she leaves stark????????" That thought just about broke my heart, so I never bought any of the next books for fear that that might happen. I just wanted Stark to be happy and in that moment he was so I was happy with finishing there. 

Now the girl who grew up and no longer likes Twilight or House of Night, doesn't really care that much and is thankful she stopped wasting her money on this series. A word of advice to the authors, had Zoey and Stark not got together, and you kept them apart until the very last book, I probably would have carried on. I mean I carried on with the Immortals Series by Alyson Noel even though it really pissed me off because I just wanted to see Ever and Damen together and that only happened properly in the last book (well played Ms Noel, well played!) 


That's all for today I hope you enjoyed this post and I shall see you all on Wednesday!

Don't forget to comment below and tell me your opinion on this book! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a single post!

Or if you are a bloglovin user you can now follow my blog on there too, where you will be instantly notified of when I post just click on that button at the top of the page on the left hand side! I promise you won't regret it!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D