Monday 27 April 2015

Avengers : Age of Ultron Review.

A few weeks ago I slowly began to get more and more excited about the impending release of the new Avengers film. As I started to re-watch and remember important story arcs knowing the Marvel Cinematic Universe is all connected.


As reviews poured in many were claiming that at times it was difficult to understand and would be confusing to those who weren't well versed in the goings on of the previous Marvel outings.

So did I enjoy it?
Was I confused?
Read on for a spoiler free review!




I went so far as to watch Marvel's Agents of Shield, the show currently airing it's second season on ABC. Unfortunately Ultron came out just over a week earlier here in the UK than in the US, so I have seen the film before the 'connecting' episode of Agents of Shield is aired. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't watched it but I do feel watching this show did help to 'connect' a few things (like how the Avengers found Strucker's base) and the possibility of what Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver might be in this world since they aren't allowed to call them mutants. 20th Century Fox owns that right! (The Avengers also find something else at Strucker's base which appears to point down the same line as Agents of Shield saying that thought nothing is for certain it's just speculation).

Was I confused? No absolutely not but I have seen all the films at least more than once. If there is one film you do absolutely need to have seen before this it is Captain America Winter Soldier. Not only are there small references and a character from that film in Ultron but the big story arc with S.H.E.I.L.D occurs and with out knowing that you'll be totally lost.

As many have mentioned Guardians of The Galaxy doesn't hold much weight over it but you do need to know about the infinity stone that appears in that film. It also might help a little with the mid credits scene (there is no end credits scene this time around). My mum hasn't watched Guardians properly and didn't understand I have seen it a couple times though and knew exactly what was happening. Saying that though Guardians isn't the only time this character has appeared.


As always the effects were 'on point'. The story was good I liked seeing the Avengers struggling since part of their team created the evil force they face this time around. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are wonderful additions, bringing in new team members since we know the Avengers team isn't always the same members. Elizabeth Olsen has previously said she studied Japanese horror films to create her characters movements. I can tell. There was one particular moment at the beginning that really unnerved me made even worse by her glowing red eyes. (I don't like Japanese horror, I still have nightmares about the grudge and the ring *shivers*) Some people feel Ultron himself was a bit watered down but I quite like that he was a confused and frankly rather odd villain, not even realising in the beginning that his path meant world destruction. He seems like a teenager given too much power. I also liked that the Pinocchio no strings connection was actually used in the film and wasn't just reserved for the trailer. 

Surprisingly the most heart wrenching moment comes from Black Widow as we see a small portion of her back story. I won't tell you what happens in case you don't read the comics and thus don't already know, just know it isn't pleasant. 

I will say it isn't as good as the first Avengers were that would be 5 stars this 4. (Maybe 4.5) I did really enjoy it and I think it was everything it needed to be ahead of Captain America Civil War. It showed that there is already underlying conflict there between Captain America and Iron Man. 

The humour was still there, not on the same scale as the first Avengers but is still there to lighten the slightly darker mood this film takes on. 

All that being said this film still has heart, it's still fun, the effects are still top notch, the story still intriguing and by all rights it's a good and enjoyable film. A few people have said it's the 'human' moments that make these superhero films so good, and I would have to agree to an extent, especially with the added depth to Hawkeye's character that we are provided with. 

So if you're a Marvel fan and you know your stuff you'll enjoy this mainly because it brings all the characters back together in one film again, if you're not quite as familiar go with someone who knows their stuff they'll be able to help with ease.

see you next time!
xoxo
Becca





No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D